Thursday, 13 April 2017

Thirteenth Station: Jesus Dies on the Cross

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Margaret (No.246)
  
“But Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed his last’’. Mark 15:36
  



Death has many guises
‘This dying man has no relatives, I want you to sit and hold his hand.'  What compassion this nurse had so many years ago.
I was very young and in my first year of nursing. What did I know of death and pain and dying?

‘Dying is a lonely process,' she said as she led me into the patient’s room. 'He is unconscious but on some level he will know that you are there.'

She walks out of the room. I sit there, a little scared, perhaps even a little in awe. I watch his laboured breathing and listen to his low moans of pain. Later I help to prepare his body and transport him to the morgue.

I have sat at a number of deathbeds since then and it is the place where I can most understand what happened that day at Calvary.

Death is ugly and painful yet it is the doorway through which we all must pass before entering our final home.

Jesus died a painful death nailed to two pieces of wood. His friends watched from a distance.  He felt abandoned by his Father and deserted by those he loved best.

I pray that I am there for my friends and family in their time of deepest pain and sorrow.