Friday, 16 December 2016

Advent 30 Day Retreat: Week 3 Day 19

Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani


“At once the angel was joined by a huge angelic choir singing God’s praises:
Glory to God in the heavenly heights,
Peace to all men and women on earth who please him”.  (Luke 2:13-14)

“Angels Announcing Birth of Jesus”1922
The Lord is worthy of praise. There is a difference between worship and praise.  Worship is because of who God is, praise is for what he does.

The angels' message wasn't just for the shepherds. In this short passage from Luke, the shepherds have just had the birth of Jesus announced to them.  Though simple men, they recognize the importance of what they have just heard.  The context of the message makes it clear that it is not just for the shepherds, but rather for everyone, that Jesus has been born.
 
All creation is invited to respond to what has occurred, from the lowliest shepherd to the highest angel.

My heart sings with joy. The Bible doesn’t specify exactly how the shepherds felt when surrounded by all this. When I imagine myself in their shoes, the phrase ‘my heart sings’ comes to mind.  I feel a deep internal drawing to praise the Lord. I can’t help but raise my voice and my arms is gratitude.
 
In this season of gift-giving, ponder God's greatest gift to us. In a season where we celebrate by spending money and buying gifts for our family and friends, often without even thinking of God, or the ‘reason for the season’, I invite you to give some thought today to pondering what the Lord has done for you.  I bet you can’t help but praise Him.