Sunday, 4 September 2016

10 Minute Daily Retreat: September - Gift of Courage

Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Malcolm Davies (No.217)



For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and self-control. 2 Timothy 1: 7


When I was younger I worked in a team in the public service who were all young men and we decided to have a team lunch.

Some of the men wanted to go to a “topless” lunch place. I said I would not be going as it was disrespectful to women. One of them replied that women were part of creation and therefore what was I worried about. There was a lot of tension between some of the men and myself.

I agreed that women were part of creation and therefore should be honoured and respected and that for that reason I would not be going with them. They talked amongst themselves and then agreed to go elsewhere.

I was never a person to push religion on to other people but this was an opportunity to communicate gospel values that I could not ignore.

We are all called to be faithful to the gospel and that may include explaining to others in a calm and rational manner how, as Christians, the principles of the Kingdom are lived out in our lives.














Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.