Sunday, 21 August 2016

10 Minute Daily Retreat: August - Gift of Counsel (Right Judgement)

Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Louise Crossley (No.215)


Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my thoughts.  Psalm 139:23

Counsel (Right judgement)
We tend to believe that good and bad is as blatantly clear as the sun and the moon. People who are polite, friendly, courteous, are good. People who are impolite, unfriendly and thoughtless are bad. 

Many times I've heard comments, as I'm sure we all have, like 'She's nice' or 'He's awful' from people, following their brief (positive or negative) encounters.

Recently I've changed my perspective. I now realise that good and bad to the mere human eye is inconceivable, no matter how it seems. Therefore, without good judgement, it would be easy to be led astray by actions confused for virtues. 

Right judgement is to fill our mind, to expose our body and to action out behaviour according to God's laws - inwardly.




In an effort to remind us to have the good judgement to not judge His children, as our eyes can only see a portion of the whole, our concentration should be on developing OUR best self.

I envision God reinforcing this gift through Kenneth Slessor's poem: William Street. 'You find it ugly, I find it lovely.'

   
Read the scripture slowly. 
Reflect on its meaning for you.
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.



Louise Crossley