Sunday, 3 July 2016

10 Minute Daily Retreat: July - Gift of Understanding 1

Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Malcolm Davies (No.211)

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.


When I was single, life as a Christian seemed relatively easy as I had few financial commitments, or obligations to take care of a family, and could do what I liked when I liked.

Of course I sought guidance from the Spirit, but primarily I only had to consider what was important to me.

One of the wonderful things about subsequently being married to a committed Christian was seeking the Lord together.

In seeking the Lord, we were of one mind to seek first the Kingdom of God and to make the decisions in our life that would allow us to love and serve the Lord.

In practice, that meant where we worked and lived would be where we could live out our faith. That meant not applying for jobs and therefore having less income than I could have earned because I wanted to be available to my family and the Church.

God has blessed us because we have tried, however imperfectly, to put him first in our lives.

Seek the Lord at every change in your life and trust him.


Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.