Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Reflection by Louise Crossley

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Louise Crossley (No.204)

Reading: Mark 9:38
Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

‘One of us,’ an interesting phrase. We’re mere humans with mere human powers, so how can we possibly see who is and is not ‘one of us’?
I’ve met church goers who listen to God music on the radio and pray before every meal who turned out to cheat, lie and scheme.
On the other hand, I’ve met people who are rough looking and talking, but honest, trustworthy and want good things for others.
One of my students once said: ‘no one is good or bad because we cannot see their heart’. I agree. We are not omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, God is. This Gospel passage reiterates that fact. We must not judge as we cannot see; we are not equipped to measure what constitutes good and bad. It’s not our job.
One thing I am equipped for, however, is to appreciate the purity and goodness that true worship generates. I have friends from many religions who follow their faith truly and devotedly with respect for all religions.
We have no place to judge others, but we are called to ask ourselves, 'am I against or for Jesus?
39 But Jesus said, “Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me.40 Whoever is not against us is for us.

Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.