Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Reflection by Christine Coombe

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
By Christine Coombe (No.202)

Reading: John 17:11b-19

 Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name – the name you gave me – so that they may be one as we are one.  While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me.  None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.  For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.



Here is a passage close-packed with truths so great that we can grasp only fragments of them.

Luther said, "This no creature can say with reference to God.”  Never did Jesus so vividly lay down His oneness with the Father.  Jesus is so one with Him that he exercises His very power and prerogatives.

We must always remember that God has chosen us and dedicated us for His special service.  That special service is that we should love and obey Him and should bring others to do the same.

And God has not left us to carry out that great task in our own strength. Out of His grace He fits us for our task.

Our response is to place our lives in His hands.

Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.