Sunday, 29 May 2016

7 Months: 7 Gifts

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (No.207)
  
The spirit of the Lord shall rest on him,

    the spirit of wisdom
and understanding,

    the spirit of counsel
and might,

    the spirit of knowledge
and the fear of the Lord.

 His delight shall be in the fear of the Lord.



How easy do you find living the spiritual life? Perhaps I'm not very spiritual, but I often feel like my spirituality is like an appendix to my 'real life.' If God knows our inmost being, no one is more aware of my struggles than Him.

Struggles! Why does our spiritual life have to be a struggle? Have you forgotten, like me, that God has provided us with spiritual gifts with which to live the spiritual life?

I recently received the delightful gift of tickets to see Andre Rieu in concert. If you don’t know who he is, or if you don’t enjoy classical music, you may not appreciate the gift as I did. The concert isn’t scheduled for another six months so I've stored the tickets away until I need them. Imagine if I lose them! Or if I forget I even had them! I will never experience the true joy the gift was intended to bring me. Nor could I genuinely show appreciation to my generous gift giver.

The Holy Spirit brings us many gifts when we begin our Christian journey. Isaiah 11: 2-3 names seven gifts. Over the next seven months, the 10 Minute Daily Retreat will reflect on each of these gifts; one every month.

There is a wealth of material written by gifted teachers, theologians and deeply spiritual people describing these gifts. We hope that our Reflections prompt you to explore these treasures for yourselves.

We trust that our personal experience with the gifts will encourage you to utilize yours. Please join us on our journey!

1.           June: Wisdom
2.           July: Understanding
3.           August: Counsel (Right Judgement)
4.           September: Might / Fortitude (Courage)
5.           October: Knowledge
6.           November: Fear of the Lord / Piety (Reverence)
7.           December: Fear of the Lord (Wonder and Awe)



Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you.
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.













Read the Daily Gospel in between Reflections