Friday, 8 January 2016

Song of Songs 30 Day Retreat: Day 8

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read theWord of God with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (Retreat Day 8 of 30)


 Day 8
Beloved  
3 Upon my bed at night
    I sought him whom my soul loves;
I sought him, but found him not;
    I called him, but he gave no answer.[
a]
2 “I will rise now and go about the city,
    in the streets and in the squares;
I will seek him whom my soul loves.”
    I sought him, but found him not.
3 The sentinels found me,
    as they went about in the city.
“Have you seen him whom my soul loves?”
4 Scarcely had I passed them,
    when I found him whom my soul loves.
I held him, and would not let him go
 until I brought him into my mother’s house,
    and into the chamber of her that conceived me.




When the Lover disappears into the night, the Beloved realizes her mistake. Her soul aches with grief and she no longer ignores the depth of love they have for each other.  Despite the dangers of the night, she gets up and searches for Him through the dark city streets.

The Lover allows her to find Him. She holds Him close, desperate to demonstrate her mutual feelings. Clasping hold of His hand, she turns and leads Him to her childhood home. With this action, she accepts the Lover's proposal, and seeks the blessing of her family.

This scene reminds me of the parable of the 'Prodigal Son.'  Jesus describes His father as a patient God. When we push Him away from the centre of our lives, He never leaves us. But we must turn to Him.


20 So he set off and went to his father. But while he was still far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him…

 23 '…And get the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate; 24 for this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found!’ And they began to celebrate.' Luke 15:20,23-24


Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 

Pray for God's blessing upon you.