Wednesday, 6 January 2016

Song of Songs 30 Day Retreat: Day 6

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read God's Word with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (Retreat Day 6 of 30)

 Day 6
Beloved:
My beloved is like a gazelle
    or a young stag.
Look, there he stands
    behind our wall,
gazing in at the windows,
    looking through the lattice.
10 My beloved speaks and says to me:
“Arise, my love, my fair one,
    and come away; SS 2:9-10

Lover:
13 The fig tree puts forth its figs,
    and the vines are in blossom;
    they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one,
    and come away.
14 O my dove, in the clefts of the rock,
    in the covert of the cliff,
let me see your face,
    let me hear your voice;
for your voice is sweet,
    and your face is lovely
. SS 2:13-14


The Lover comes to the home of the Beloved. She watches Him from behind her window. He calls out to her, inviting her to come away with Him. This may even have been a marriage proposal.

He waits patiently, standing outside the Beloved's gate. The Lover reminds her of a gentle creature, such as a gazelle or young stag. There is nothing forceful about his invitation. His is a declaration of love.

He calls out again, and He waits. The Beloved ignores His call.

Do we hear God's call to follow Him? He promises to bring light into the darkness of our life, if we listen and turn to Him.

12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.