Friday, 29 January 2016

Song of Songs 30 Day Retreat: Day 29

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (Day 29)
Lover
O you who dwell in the gardens,
    my companions are listening for your voice;
    let me hear it. SS 8:13


Occasionally I drive past the Passionists' Monastery and sometimes, if I have a few moments, I'll stop and visit their Sacred Garden. Some of the community members there are previous colleagues from my time in PNG.

On one of my recent visits I stood chatting to the gardener, catching up on news from the mission.

The most beautiful chanting emanated from the top floor of the monastery and stopped me mid-sentence. Brother Jim smiled at my reaction and explained that they were the 'students,' (presumably novices).

In this final section of the Song, the Lover invites His Beloved to sing Him a song. He is proud of her voice and invites His friends to listen too.

How glad He is when we come before Him, our Lord God, with singing and dancing! No matter how rough the journey is, God sustains us. This gives us great cause to praise.

The bible if full of exhortation for us to sing God's praises, particularly in the Psalms.

Praise the Lord!
Sing to the Lord a new song,
    his praise in the assembly of the faithful.
Let Israel be glad in its Maker;
    let the children of Zion rejoice in their King.
Let them praise his name with dancing,
    making melody to him with tambourine and lyre. Psalm 149:1-3



Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.