Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Song of Songs 30 Day Retreat: Day 26

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (Day 26)

Beloved:
Its flashes are flashes of fire,
    a raging flame. SS 8:6



Seemingly random flashes of hardship can throw our life into chaos. They come unexpectedly and test the core of our faith. How difficult it can be to hold fast to our belief in God's love during those times.

When I worked in a homeless centre I had the interesting task of caring for battered feet. As I listened to my client's sombre life stories, my stereotypical view of a homeless person vanished. I discovered that we are all just one step away from experiencing the same.

I imagined being new to town, with no income and my spouse became violent. If I wanted to flee, where could I go? Quite possibly to a homeless shelter - especially if I also had children.

When flashes of hardship halt us in our path, remember that God's love is infinitely stronger than any stumbling block life throws at us. The Word of God is one place where He flashes us those reminders.


I lift up my eyes to the hills—
    from where will my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
    who made heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1

What a great and faithful God we have!


Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.