Saturday, 2 January 2016

Song of Songs 30 Day Retreat: Day 2

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (Retreat Day 2 of 30)

Early posts Click Here


Day 2
Song of Songs SS 1:2-4
Beloved:
Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth!
For your love is better than wine,
    your anointing oils are fragrant,
your name is perfume poured out;
    therefore the maidens love you.
Draw me after you, let us make haste.
    The king has brought me into his chambers…

Tell me, you whom my soul loves,
    where you pasture your flock,
    where you make it lie down at noon;


Have you ever experienced the delight and pride of achieving a long pursued goal? It's almost impossible to contain our joy and eventually we have to share it with someone. Our story of success encourages others to press on and pursue their own goal.

In today's verses, the Beloved is bursting at the seams to tell us how amazing her Lover is. When someone enters into a new relationship with God, their wonder and enthusiasm is infectious.

It inspires us to reflect on our own spiritual journey. It may encourage us to grow deeper in our faith. Or it may enkindle a desire to experience God's love for the first time.

The glimmer of first love dulls as we face life's hurdles. The verses end with the Beloved asking the Lover to take her someplace else. Perhaps she no longer experiences Him in her everyday life. After a time she loses sight of Him completely. She calls out, asking where she can find Him.

We're no different. There are times when we fail to hear His voice in the quiet of our prayer. We go through the motions of church, and exit as dry as we entered. We read His Word and are bored with having heard it too many times. We long for that freshness of our early spiritual experience.

If we can't find Him in all the usual places, it isn't because He's not there. Over the next 30 days, let's use the opportunity to rediscover God's love. Are we looking in the wrong places?

 12 Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. 13 When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, 14 I will let you find me, says the Lord…' Jeremiah 29:12-14

Like the Beloved, let us ask the question, 'Lord, where can I find You?' In that moment we provide an opening for God to respond.


Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness
Pray for God's blessing upon you.