Saturday, 16 January 2016

Song of Songs 30 Day Retreat: Day 16

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (Day 16)

Lover
Your head crowns you like Mt Carmel, SS 7:5



Unlike Israel, the setting for the Song, Australia doesn’t have a lot of mountains. In the heart of our country, we do have Uluru, also known as Ayers Rock.

Uluru is famous for its transforming colours. This magnificent rock reflects the changing light and shadows as the sun climbs the sky, peaks and descends.

The processing of our inner thoughts in our head undergoes a similar process. We present different parts of ourselves as we live out our day, our week, our stage of life.

Our Lover declares how He knows and loves every part of us.  This is great news for us because some of our innermost thoughts aren’t always the most beautiful.

Unless we accept His unconditional love and stop hiding from Him, the irony is that these less than perfect aspects of ourselves are unlikely to change.

If you have the chance to read the whole of Psalm 139, you will find a magnificent declaration of the Psalmist acknowledging this truth.

 Lord, you have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
    you discern my thoughts from far away.
You search out my path and my lying down,
    and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
    O Lord, you know it completely.
You hem me in, behind and before,
    and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    it is so high that I cannot attain it.

The Psalmist closes with a prayer we may find useful to apply today.

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my thoughts.
24 See if there is any wicked[c] way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.[d
Psalm 139: 23-24

Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.