Monday, 11 January 2016

Song of Songs 30 Day Retreat: Day 11

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (Day11)



Beloved
I looked for Him but did not find Him
The watchmen found me
As they made their rounds in the city
They beat me, they bruised me  SS 5:7-8



I watched the news recently and heard about a refugee family who experienced tragedy soon after arriving in Australia. A terrible accident resulted in the death of their baby daughter. My heart breaks for those parents.

After living a life of unbelievable tension, fleeing the horrors of a holocaust, living for years in a tent in a refugee camp, settling into a country where blessings are mixed with racism, they undergo this?

The Beloved in today's verse experiences a similar night of darkness. She wanders aimlessly seeking her Lover. She is beaten and bruised by life's difficulties. Did this refugee family lose their child because the parents may have turned their back on God? Of course not! God doesn’t punish us with tragedies. We experience these as a result of living in an imperfect, sinful, world.

I'm sure we have experienced our own dark nights. In those times we need the encouragement of our faith filled community to gather around us and sustain us with their love and prayers. And when they are broken, it is our turn to do the same. It is our turn to 'tell Him that I am faint with love.'

When someone asks us to pray for them, honour their request and cry out on their behalf. And when we cry for our own troubles, ask for others to plead on our behalf.

I looked for Him but did not find Him.'  SS 5:7-8

Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.