Sunday, 10 January 2016

Song of Songs 30 Day Retreat: Day 10

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Word of God with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (Day 10)


Beloved
2 I slept, but my heart was awake.
Listen! my beloved is knocking.

Lover
“Open to me, my sister, my love,
    my dove, my perfect one;
for my head is wet with dew,
    my locks with the drops of the night.”

Beloved
3 I had put off my garment;
    how could I put it on again?
I had bathed my feet;
    how could I soil them?

4 My beloved thrust his hand into the opening,
    and my inmost being yearned for him.
  

On Day 9 the Beloved and Lover processed through the city streets, publicly celebrating their love.

In the subsequent passages He uses exquisite images to describe how perfect she is. She has eyes like a dove, hair long and beautiful, lips a scarlet ribbon, her face an exotic fruit, her figure perfect.

Their relationship is more precious than wine, expensive perfume and rich spices. He describes exotic countries and once again extends an invitation to go with Him.

The Beloved responds with pleasure to His lavish love until we read today's passage.

Once again He is outside her home and invites her to come away with Him. This may be the moment when He wants to progress from engagement to marriage. His romantic declarations are a means to an end. True love moves beyond infatuation and can at times demand inconvenient choices.

The Beloved uses excuses not to go with Him. She is ready for bed. Why should she get up?

He is a bit more persistent this time and tries to open the gate. In her heart she can't deny her love for Him. If we go on to read the remainder of the passage, we discover she has left it too late. 

He has gone.

Do we ever feel that we have missed a call? Perhaps it was to an area of ministry we find challenging or to go out of our way to love someone who annoys us. 

The image we have here is a persistent Lover. In His eyes she is perfect and He has utter faith that she will one day listen to His call. In the silence listen to our Lover. Are there areas of our life where we simply refuse to do what is right? 

When we repent, turn back to Him and seek Him out, we can expect another chance

“So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. Luke 11:9

Read the scripture slowly.
Reflect on its meaning for you. 
Listen for God's voice in the stillness. 
Pray for God's blessing upon you.