Sunday, 8 November 2015

A widow's mite is all I have to offer anyway

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (No.171)

A reading from the Holy Gospel according to Mark 12:38-44
 A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny.  Then he called his disciples and said to them,
 “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury.
 For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”


A widow's mite may be our 10 minutes of prayer a day. At least if we give it away, God has the chance to use it.
If we hang on to it, He can do nothing.
Singer / songwriter Matt Maher reflects on today's scripture, the 'widows' mite', beautifully.

Letting Go:  Matt Maher
I stand in awe of You
And everything You’ve done for me
You speak Your words into my life
And where You are is where I wanna be

I stand before You, Lord
Humbled by the love You give away
A widow's mite, my will and pride
It's all I have to offer anyway

I'm holding on to Your love
I'm letting go of myself
I'll say so long to everything else

I stand in awe of You
And everything You’ve done for me
You speak Your words into my life
And where You are is where I wanna be

I stand before You Lord
Humbled by the love You give away
A widow's mite, my will and pride
It's all I have to offer anyway

I'm holding on to Your love
I'm letting go of myself
I'm holding on to Your love
I'm letting go of myself
I'll say so long to everything else

I just wanna be in your arms
I just wanna be in Your arms
Moving ever closer to Your heart
To Your heart  (x3)

(Alive Again, 2008)


5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.
Susanne Timpani
















Next Reflection: Sr Melanie Edwards MGL Sister Friday, November 13th, 2015