Sunday, 25 October 2015

Walk by the river

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (No.167)

A reading from the Holy Gospel according to Mark10:46-52
Jesus said to him, 'Go; your faith has saved you.' And at once his sight returned and he followed him along the road. 


When I was around ten years old, we went on a family holiday, staying in a caravan park in the Riverland. One evening, with dozens of other children, we attended a story-telling session on the riverbank. Already familiar with the Gospels, I recognized the story as the healing of blind 'Bart,' as they had nicknamed him.

Yet I had never heard a Gospel story read like that before. The young people from Scripture Union acted out the story and brought each character to life.

I remember that evening whenever I hear today's story. It was one of those moments in life when my own eyes were opened.

What struck me today, in reading the story again, is the conclusion -

He [Bart] followed Jesus along the road. Mark 10:52

After my special moments, how far along the road do I follow Jesus? If I search my heart, I wonder if I really want to follow Him at all.  I have my own plans.

Thankfully, we have a gentle God. The very least He asks of us, it to allow Him to walk alongside us.

Susanne Timpani
5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.
















Next Reflection: Jane Borg  Friday, 30th October, 2015