Sunday, 6 September 2015

A child's choice

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (No.156)

A reading from the Holy Gospel according to Mark 10:13-16

And they were bringing children to him, that he might touch them; and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it he was indignant, and said to them,

"Let the children come to me, do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God.  Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands upon them.



I listened to a pastor recently whom I had known from our early youth. While he preached, I reflected back to the time when I first heard his testimony.

He had been a child when a church leader invited people to come forward and make a public commitment to live their Christian faith. 

I wondered how many adults in the congregation would have doubted the sustainability of his childhood commitment. 

I imagined what may have happened if he had been turned away at the altar. Would I be sitting in the service today, experiencing the touch of God through his ministry? 


If we hold our children back from coming to Jesus until we believe they are old enough to make their own choices, there is a real possibility of them making no choice at all. 

If we encourage them to pray and develop their own spiritual relationship, they have the opportunity for a seed of faith to grow into a life bearing much fruit.


Susanne Timpani


5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
















Next Reflection: Malcolm Davies  Friday, September, 11th, 2015