Friday, 3 July 2015

Believing is not Seeing

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
By Malcolm Davies (No.136)

A reading from the holy Gospel according to John 20:24-29 
Thomas, called the Twin, who was one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. When they said, ‘We have seen the Lord’, he answered, ‘Unless I see the holes that the nails made in his hands and can put my finger into the holes they made, and unless I can put my hand into his side, I refuse to believe.’

Eight days later the disciples were in the house again and Thomas was with them. The doors were closed, but Jesus came in and stood among them. ‘Peace be with you,’ he said. Then he spoke to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here; look, here are my hands. Give me your hand; put it into my side. Doubt no longer but believe.’ Thomas replied, ‘My Lord and my God!’

 Jesus said to them: ‘You believe because you can see me. Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe.’


‘Doubting’ Thomas struggles with the fact that he has not seen the risen body of Jesus (just as Mary Magdalene struggled with the absence of Jesus in an empty tomb).

Thomas has not seen Jesus the way he expected to see Jesus. However, once he has an experience of the risen Jesus he is the first to proclaim “my Lord and my God”. The doubting is part of his journey into the fullness of faith.

Jesus invites Thomas to touch Him, but he does not need to. To see something of Jesus is all he needs to keep him on the journey of faith.

To see something of Jesus is all we need to keep us on the journey of faith. We have no apparitions, no empty tomb and no clothes wrapped in a bundle to assist us on the journey.

Being a committed Christian does not mean an absence of doubt or struggle. 
It does mean we are open to following Jesus even when we do not see a clear path ahead of us.

Malcolm Davies
5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.

























Next Reflection: Susanne Timpani Sunday 5th July, 2015