Sunday, 7 June 2015

Return to the Upper Room

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
Prepared by Susanne Timpani (No.128)

A reading from the holy Gospel according to Mark 14:22-25 and Mark 14:1-31



In today’s Gospel, we return to the Upper Room. The mood is sombre and there are a few ‘elephants in the room’. Jesus acknowledges the imperfections of his fellow dinner guests; predicting a betrayal and a denial.

Being His Last Supper, He has much to say. When you read today’s Gospel, enter the Upper Room. Is there a particular text that speaks to you?  

The final scene spoke to me. The Last Supper ended with prayer.

After the psalms had been sung they left for the Mount of Olives. Mark 14:26

As I exit the Upper Room, I glance at the mess we have left behind. A lamp flickers to aid a servant clear the table, tidy away the cushions, foot towels and basin.

While everything appears ordinary, my heart tells me this Supper was significant. I turn around and catch up with the rest of the Disciples as they disappear into the darkness.

Much of what Jesus told us during the Supper, I don’t understand.  I do recognize the path to the Mount of Olives. He is leading us to one of our favourite places to pray.

This final act of the night summarizes everything for me. No matter how uncertain I am, all Jesus asks is to follow Him into a place of prayer.


Susanne Timpani

5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you

Next Reflection: Malcolm Davies June 12th, 2015