Friday, 19 June 2015

O Beauty so ancient and so new

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
By Malcolm Davies (No.132)

 A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew 6: 19-23

Jesus said to his disciples: Do not store up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and woodworms destroy them and thieves can break in and steal. But store up treasures for yourselves in heaven, where neither moth nor woodworms destroy them and thieves cannot break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

‘The lamp of the body is the eye. It follows that if your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light. But if your eye is diseased, your whole body will be all darkness. If then, the light inside you is darkness, what darkness that will be!’ 



Reflection:
Sometimes I have been asked whether I have been ‘saved’. For me, the understanding of salvation is that it is not just a one-off process but also a continual surrendering to God throughout my life. In that way, I am continually open to the light of faith in my life.

My experience is that I have been saved, I am being saved and I will be saved.

As a flawed human being who is being remade in the likeness of God, I am reminded of the reflection of Saint Augustine of Hippo, who surrendered to God after resisting his call for many years. I invite you to make his prayer your prayer today:

Late have I loved you, 
O Beauty so ancient and so new, 
late have I loved you! 
You were within me, but I was outside, 
and it was there that I searched for you. 
In my unloveliness, I plunged into the lovely things which you created. 
You were with me, but I was not with you. 
Created things kept me from you; 
yet if they had not been in you, they would not have been at all. 
You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness. 
You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness. 
You breathed your fragrance on me; 
I drew in breath and now I pant for you. 
I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more. 
You touched me, and I burned for your peace. 



Malcolm Davies
5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.















Next Reflection: Susanne Timpani Sunday 21st June, 2015