Sunday, 10 May 2015

To compete or to love?

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
Prepared by Susanne Timpani (No.117)

A reading from the holy Gospel according to John (15:9-17)
I have loved you just as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love.

 I have told you this so that my own joy may be in you and your joy be complete.

This is my commandment: love one another, as I have loved you.

No one can have greater love than to lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends, if you do what I command you.

 I shall no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know the master's business; I call you friends, because I have made known to you everything I have learnt from my Father.

 You did not choose me, no, I chose you; and I commissioned you to go out and to bear fruit, fruit that will last; so that the Father will give you anything you ask him in my name.

My command to you is to love one another.



We are chosen for love. We are sent out into the world to love one another. Sometimes we live as if we were sent into the world to compete with one another, or to dispute with one another, or even to quarrel with one another.

But the Christian is to live in such a way that he shows what is meant by loving his fellow men. It is here that Jesus makes another of his great claims.

If we ask him: What right have you to demand that we love one another? His answer is: "No man can show greater love than to lay down his life for his friends--and I did that."

Many a person tells us to love each other, when their whole life is a demonstration that that is the last thing they do themselves. Jesus gave us a commandment which he had himself first fulfilled. 



Susanne Timpani
5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.













Next Reflection: Louise Crossley  Wednesday, 13th May 2015