Friday, 8 May 2015

My friends

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
By Malcolm Davies (No.116)

A reading from the holy Gospel according to John (15:12-17)
Jesus said to his disciples:
‘This is my commandment: love one another, as I have loved you.
A man can have no greater love than to lay down his life for his friends.
You are my friends, if you do what I command you.
I shall not call you servants anymore, because a servant does not know his master’s business;
I call you friends, because I have made known to you everything I have learnt from my Father.
You did not choose me, no, I chose you; and I commissioned you to go out and to bear fruit, fruit that will last; and then the Father will give you anything you ask him in my name.
What I command you is to love one another.’ 




Jesus calls the disciples to love as he loves – an agape love where there is to be a total laying down of our life, in a similar way that Jesus gives his life for us.

Jesus demonstrates that by washing the feet of the disciples and he loves without limit despite them having a limited understanding of his true mission, with one of them being a betrayer and another one who will deny him.

The love of Jesus has established a new relationship where the disciples are not servants who are dependent on a master but are friends with an intimate and equal association with Jesus as their brother.

The commandment to love is stated twice as this call is an essential element of friendship with Jesus.  The quality of their love will demonstrate that they are disciples.

Let us reflect on our own life and search for where we are called to lay down our life, not just to be in a ‘holy huddle’ fellowship with those who have the same world and Church view as ourselves, but with those at the margins of Church and society.


5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.
Malcolm Davies













Next Reflection: Susanne Timpani Sunday 17th May, 2015