Sunday, 3 May 2015

I am the trunk of the ghost gum

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (No.114)

A reading from the holy Gospel according to John (15:1-8)
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to  make it bear more fruit. 

You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me.  

I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.”


https://www.flickr.com/photos/electricnerve/272290105/sizes/m/

“I am the trunk of the ghost gum, and you are the branches. Stay close to me so that you grow strong. Your leaves will nourish the insects and birds, house the kookaburras and koalas and provide shade for all. You will stand glorious against the sky, having attained all that you were designed to be.

Stay connected to me for apart from me you can produce nothing. You will wither on the ground and return to dust.”

The image of Jesus as the vine makes sense if you are familiar with vineyards, of which I am not. The gum tree appears within my everyday environment. If you contemplate the gum tree the branches closest to the trunk merge so that the two become one. The closer we allow ourselves to come to Jesus, through prayer and surrender, the more likely we are of achieving the plans He has in mind for us. 

If we become disconnected from the trunk we are useless, contributing nothing toward building God's kingdom. 

In today’s Gospel Jesus calls us to come back to Him, stay connected, and live the full and rich life He intended us to live.

Susanne Timpani

5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.






Next Reflection: Sr Melanie Edwards MGL Sister Wednesday, 6th May 2015