Sunday, 25 January 2015

Which language do you understand?

 10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
(No. 69) YouTube clip by Glenn D’Souza 
 14 After John had been arrested, Jesus went into Galilee. There he proclaimed the gospel from God saying, 15 'The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is close at hand. Repent, and believe the gospel.' 
16 As he was walking along by the Lake of Galilee he saw Simon and Simon's brother Andrew casting a net in the lake -- for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, 'Come after me and I will make you into fishers of people.' 18And at once they left their nets and followed him. 19 Going on a little further, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John; they too were in their boat, mending the nets. 20 At once he called them and, leaving their father Zebedee in the boat with the men he employed, they went after him.(Mark 1:14-20)

By Glenn D'Souza


When Jesus calls us to Follow Him, He uses language that we can relate to.

Jesus called to Fishermen, 'Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men.' 

If He called out to Builders He may have said, 'Follow Me and I will make you builders of my Kingdom.'

If He called out to Electricians He might have said 'Follow Me and I will empower you to turn on the light in people's lives and show them the way.'

If He called out to Musicians He may have said, 'Follow Me and I will make your life a song of inspiration to people.' 

If He called out to Farmers He may have said, 'Follow Me and I will make you reapers of a mighty harvest of souls for my Kingdom.'

But because He spoke to Fishermen He spoke in Fishermen's language.

Jesus calls me in a way I can understand. Listen for His voice in quiet prayer.

Do I hear Him call my name? Do I look up, like Simon, Andrew and James? 
What must I leave behind to respond to Jesus’ call?


Glenn D'Souza

5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.