Sunday, 18 January 2015

Come and see for yourself

10 Minute Daily Retreat - Read the Daily Gospel with a prayerful heart.
By Susanne Timpani (No. 63)             
35 The next day as John stood there again with two of his disciples, Jesus went past, 36 and John looked towards him and said, 'Look, there is the lamb of God.' 37 And the two disciples heard what he said and followed Jesus. 38 Jesus turned round, saw them following and said, 'What do you want?' They answered, 'Rabbi' -- which means Teacher-'where do you live?' 39 He replied, 'Come and see'; so they went and saw where he lived, and stayed with him that day. It was about the tenth hour. 40 One of these two who became followers of Jesus after hearing what John had said was Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter. 41 The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother and say to him, 'We have found the Messiah' -- which means the Christ -- 42 and he took Simon to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, 'You are Simon son of John; you are to be called Cephas' -- which means Rock. (John 1:35-42)


39 He said to them, “Come and see.” They came and saw where he was staying,
and they remained with him that day.(John 1:39)

One Saturday night, a fellow student invited me to a party where I knew no one. I soon lost my companion in the crowd of people that crammed the house. Cigarette smoke filled the main room, as did young people in various stages of inebriation. Music that I didn’t particularly like bounced off the walls, eliminating any chance of conversation. 

My acquaintance had encouraged me to ‘come and see’ and I hated it. Yet God had prepared a surprise for me. Stepping outside to inhale fresh air, one of the guests looked up and held my gaze. After a moment she asked, ‘do you know God?’

I almost choked on my drink and stared back. O great! A bible basher to round the night off. My defences rose and I muttered, ‘yes, I’ve always gone to church and I know all about God.’ There, that should do it; now leave me alone. She didn’t.

‘I didn’t ask if you knew about God, but do you know God?’ An interesting conversation followed, concluding with an invitation to attend her church the following morning. In line with today’s Gospel, she had invited me to ‘come and see.’

A deep spiritual journey followed, which I trust will continue throughout my life and lead me to the ultimate place to ‘come and see’; Eternal Life.

Has anyone asked you to ‘come and see’? I thought I knew all about God, but He challenged me to take a closer look. Jesus’ invitation is extended to us each time we come to Him in prayer. Let’s ask Him today to open our eyes so that we see Him more deeply. 

Susanne Timpani
Photo by C. Timpani
5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.


Next Reflection: Melanie Edwards Wednesday 21st January, 2015

Read the Daily Gospel between Reflections