Saturday, 1 November 2014

Life and Death

Sunday Reflection (no.3)
By Susanne Timpani
In some countries or Christian groups, one or more of the feasts of the 'Allhallowtide Triduum' are celebrated at this time. These feast days have been nominated as a time to acknowledge those who have died. It begins with Halloween on October 31st, includes All Saints Day on November 1st and ends with All Souls Day on November 2nd.

It can be an uncomfortable experience to reflect too closely on death, dying and life after death. Yet Jesus didn’t shy away from the topic. In John 6:38 we read His explanation of the reason He came to live amongst us. 

‘For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will.’ 


The will of God had everything to do with death, dying and life after death.


Photo used with permission Alma O'Donnell
Photo taken along the Kokoda Trail PNG
‘For it is my Father’s will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day.’John 6:40


When I see Jesus do I believe that He is the gateway into eternal life? Does this make any difference to the way I live my life here on earth?


Susanne Timpani

5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.