Thursday, 20 November 2014

Daily Prayer Part 3

10 Minute Daily Retreat (No. 20)
By Mark Underwood

Then I Ask...

I wonder if the curse of this generation is the word ‘busyness’ and the associated feeling of being time-poor.  In the past I learnt that that the busier I got the more likely I was to forget to pray, or even think about God.  

As I became aware of this I tried several tricks to try and avoid neglecting my time with God.  I still have a magnet on my fridge put there in the vain hope of reminding me to pray.

Finally, I had to make a decision.  Prayer first, before all other things. So, as the sun rises each day, even before my feet hit the ground, I pray.  My first thought is a simple ‘Thank you Lord”, quickly followed by my adaption of the prayer of Jabez.

 'Jabez prayed to the God of Israel: “Bless me, O bless me! Give me land, large tracts of land. And provide your personal protection—don’t let evil hurt me.” God gave him what he asked'.   (1 Chronicles 4:10) 




5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
SPEAK to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.
Mark Underwood