Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Life's Journey

10 Minute Daily Retreat (no.10)
This year I was fortunate enough to be able to walk the last 6 days, over 110kms, of the Camino, into Santiago De Compostela. Accompanying me was my husband, my twin sons and a good friend.

I did a little reading prior to our journey but didn't have great knowledge or expectation of what this journey would mean for me. For many it is a very spiritual experience. For others it is a physical challenge. For some, it is just something to be 'done'.
Photo by L. Walsh

My own goal was to get through each of the 6 days, then ultimately reach Santiago De Compostela. This is not unlike our goal in life as Christians. We want to get through each day, loving and serving our Lord as best we can, then ultimately be with Him for eternity. 

At times the physical strain on my body was hard. If I focused on the peaks of hills I felt defeated. My strategy was to put one foot in front of the other, then push through with the next. In our Christian walk the obstacles we face can feel overwhelming, but if we call on the Lord for His strength, all things are possible.

"I can do all things through him who gives me strength". (Philippians 4:13)

Photo by L. Walsh

As we walked the Camino, most pilgrims greet each other as they pass with, 'Buen Camino;' meaning 'good path, happy travelling'. It gave us a great sense of having a common goal; walking the path together.

Who has encouraged you on your walk in life so far? Give thanks to God for their faithfulness. If you feel your strength failing, don't forget to call on God, Who provides strength for our journey.




5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
Speak to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.


Leanne Walsh