Thursday, 23 October 2014

Abundant Life

10 Minute Daily Retreat (no. 8)

Today Mark Underwood shares one of his favourite scriptures, along with a reflection.

‘I have what I call a ‘life verse’ from the Bible that I often reflect on.  It helps me to quickly do a reality check of my daily life and its course.

“The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows).” John 10:10

If I try and model my life on that of Jesus, then this passage shows me that there are two parts to a pastoral and caring lifestyle.  I am being reminded to bring a balance to my life.

Mark on the Heysen Trail Victor Harbour South Australia

Firstly, I have to protect myself from anything that is destructive or bad.  I can check at the end of each day, as I put my head down, if I was able to do that or not.

But it is the second part of this verse that I find most appealing.  I am an unashamed ‘bloke’ and I love the sense of adventure that this invites me into.  Again, at the end of each day I can check to see if I have accepted God’s gift of joy in every situation and occasion. 

Have I been all work and no play?  Have I taken time to recreate, (‘re-create’)?  And if not, how might I address that issue tomorrow?

Does this scripture speak to you? Can you too see how God's love is not only abundant, but overflowing? Surely nothing can be more awesome than this!'





5 minutes: READ the text slowly.
REFLECT on a phrase or word that struck you.
Speak to God about your thoughts.
5 minutes: LISTEN to God speak to you.
RESPOND with a prayer that feels right for you.
Mark Underwood